Contact us


Tous Law Group

Contact Form

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Call for a consultation 714-602-4473

Frequently Asked Questions About Workers’ Compensation in Orange County, CA

Answers from the experienced attorneys at Tous Law Group, LLC

The legal team at Tous Law Group understands that workers’ compensation law is confusing. We know that you have questions. For your convenience, we have assembled some of the more common questions we get from clients. We are also happy to answer any other questions you have in a free initial consultation. Obtaining a successful outcome in your case begins with getting the information you need to make informed decisions.

Schedule your free initial consultation with Orange County workers’ compensation attorneys today

To get answers to all of your workers’ compensation questions, contact Tous Law Group at 714-602-4473 or via our website to schedule your appointment. We are based out of Costa Mesa, CA, but we also have offices in Los Angeles, San Francisco and Corona. If you are unable to meet in one of our offices, we are willing to travel to meet with you. All cases are handled on a contingency fee basis, so if you don’t recover, you don’t pay!

How long do I have to work to be covered by workers’ compensation?

You are covered by workers’ compensation as soon as you begin your employment.

Back to top

What if my employer does not have workers’ compensation coverage?

It is a criminal offense for a California employer to fail to provide workers’ compensation coverage. It is punishable by a fine of up to $10,000, imprisonment in the county jail for up to one year, or both. Additionally, the state issues penalties of up to $100,000 against illegally uninsured employers.

If your employer failed to secure the payment of workers’ compensation as required by law, you (or your legal representative if death results from the injury) may maintain an action either in the workers’ compensation court or in the district court, but not both, for damages suffered.

Back to top

Can I report my employer for not carrying workers’ compensation insurance?

If your employer does not provide insurance coverage, report your employer to the nearest office of the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement. A workers’ compensation attorney can also assist you.

Back to top

What happens if I need emergency medical treatment?

A worker who is seriously injured and requires emergency medical treatment may secure the necessary emergency medical services, at the employer’s expense, even from medical providers who are not part of the employer’s insurance plan.

Back to top

Do I have to pay for any of the medical costs?

No. Your employer or its insurance company must pay for all authorized and medically necessary care for a compensable injury.

Back to top

Can my employer take part of my check to pay for workers’ compensation insurance?

No. Workers’ compensation insurance is part of the cost of doing business. An employer cannot ask you to help pay the insurance premium.

Back to top